Thursday, June 17, 2010

See how funny special needs can be, America?

After hearing about that guy Zach Anner who is creaming the competition in Oprah's "Your Own Show" contest, I finally remembered to actually check out his audition video when alert reader Trish reminded me about it. Thanks, Trish! I was vote # 2,681,487.


I found out tonight that it is humanly possibly to laugh and cry at the same time, because that's what I did when I watched this.

First impression: Wow, that guy is handsome.
Second: Wheelchair? What wheelchair? All you can see is Zach's charisma radiating from the screen.
Third: I hope Max turns out to be like him someday—that mind! That sense of humor! (Zach described his cerebral palsy as being "The sexiest of the palsies.")

Besides the fact that Zach has a really good idea for a TV show and is genuinely funny, I adored how self-depracating he is. It feels so, so good to be able to laugh at cerebral palsy (and you know I try). It's also amazing that America could see a guy with disabilities making light of his situation. Message being, people with special needs aren't just people you cock your head at and think "Awwwww." They are not people to pity. They're people with talents, they're people to be admired, they're people who can kick other people's butts in contests, they're people
who have, hel-lo, the same variety of personalities "typical" people do. It's what I say about Max all the time: Look past his physical challenges and you'll see, HIS PERSONALITY IS NOT DISABLED.

Here is Zach's thank-you-world video on YouTube; stop by his channel to see other amusing videos. Dave, honey, I'm sorry, but I think I have a little crush going on here.

22 comments:

  1. A few years ago the winner of last comic standing was Josh Blue. Dallas and I saw him a few years ago at a comedy club in Tempe Arizona. I have never laughed so hard in my life. Josh Blue has Cerebral palsy. It affects his speech, his gait and his arms. He plays for the US paraolympic soccer team.

    When I saw this and he said it was the sexiest of the palsies I died. I totally see Ty being the sexiest of the 4 year old palsies!

    I hope he at least gets on!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hay ellen are u thinking of interviewing him becuase if not I would like to

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, I would not have realized the contest existed if you had not shared it.
    Zach is funny. I sure do hope he wins. Mine is #exa2,686,157

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG that is so funny! I love the cat on his back!

    I could use some parenting tips from his mother!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good stuff! I love him, Ellen! Can't wait to show this to the hubby tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMG, crushing on him for sure! So funny. "When life gives you wheelchairs, make lemonade!"

    I wanna go on an adventure with Zach!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh man...that felt good to watch! Like you, laughing AND crying at the same time!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Whoa!
    Check out John Mayer's video for Zach!!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7mQ2UkURtMk

    ReplyDelete
  9. I know, I saw that John Mayer video, but he's such a self promoter I didn't feel like further promoting him! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh! Love it!!!! I will be telling people that Acadia's personality is NOT DISABLED!!!! Oh! My first giveaway is up on my kwilting with katie blog! Hope you'll check it out :o)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my god the "When I cook I usually start my pants on fire" made me laugh so hard I was crying. Awesome videos, thank you Ellen!

    ReplyDelete
  12. The sexiest of the palsies! I love it! I cracked up watching these videos. Now I have to go update my Facebook page to say that I am in a relationship with Zach.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love it! Such a great personality and would be a fun guy to be around!
    Inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I just watched the "Thank Video" after my first comment and that video might even be funnier than the first. Zach is hilarious! "My body is a wonderland" LOL I can only imagine we'll be seeing him on Oprah soon!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Can't wait to watch these videos!

    I make fun of my kids Deafness all the time... I can't tell you how many times a day when he misses something and gives me the "HUH?" I answer him... "What. You Deaf or something?" And we both laugh.

    And I sneak up on him and scare the crap out of him. We both laugh at that too.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Just awesome! Thanks so much for posting this. Doesn't it give you so much hope for the future?? It just gives me goosebumps when I think about what Ben's going to be able to do as an adult!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love him too! Really. So fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I think he is very handsome as well. He's a chic magnet. I laughed so hard, and my heart soar to see the possibilities. Thanks for sharing this. It made my day. He is fantastic and so talented. It will be awesome if he wins.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow, comedians are very smart. My heart fills with hope! I don't know the details of cerebral palsy (but I do have a son with dev delay) but it is very clear his intelligence and wit are intact and unaffected.
    Thank you for posting this link. It has gone viral.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I finally got to watch these videos and this guy is HILARIOUS!! Oh man. I hope things work out for him, I'd sure watch his show :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thank you! I NEEDED this post today :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing!



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...