Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Photo Carnival: My favorite picture of my child


This is my all-time favorite photo of Max. He was nine months old. An old friend had gotten him this outfit; I put him in it one sunny fall morning and did a photo shoot on our bed.

I love this picture of Max for many reasons: because Max is ridiculously adorable, because his cheeks and hands are so yummy-plump, because he's got such a giddy look on his face, because of that cap. But most of all, I love it because taking it brought me joy—true joy—during the hardest year of my life.

I've mentioned before that when Max was very young, I'd get so consumed by anxiety about what the future held for him that I'd neglect to savor his baby-ness. On the morning I took this picture, though, I wasn't thinking about anything except how damn cute he looked.

Max was a smiley kid back then, too, and he beamed at me as I propped him on pillows and clucked at him and took shot after shot after shot. Even the fact that he was focusing excited me. The stroke had messed up his vision and for the first six months of his life, Max couldn't look directly at me. I felt deprived of those tender moments that are supposed to come with being a parent. I worried that I wasn't connecting with Max, and he wasn't connecting with me. I'd see ads with moms gazing into their baby's eyes and I'd feel pained.

While I was going nuts with the photos, Dave came in and we had what felt like our first normal moment as parents. For just a little while, we forgot about the delays and the cerebral palsy and the therapists and the endless doctor appointments and the stress and we enjoyed our beautiful boy.

And that is what I think about every single time I see this photo.

I'm looking forward to seeing your favorite picture of your child. What to do: Post it on your blog, explain why it's a fave, include a link to this carnival, then enter the name of your blog and direct link for your post below so everyone can swing by and check it out.



28 comments:

  1. Adorable! Max has got such a great smile. I posted Kendyl, I'm going to post Tyler, but still debating which picture I like best.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok, so I'm really glad I wasn't right next to my first one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just want to kiss Max's chubby little cheeks! :)
    Got me thinking of Bertrand's baby pictures too. :')

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is a precious picture!! He was so chubby!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. So stinkin' cute! Gearing up to post mine...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh man, Max has always lit up a room hasn't he? I love the photo that you shared! My favorite photo of Corrigan is not on this computer of I would link up.

    Have a great wednesday!

    Mindy

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a cute picture of Max. I added pictures of my kids to my blog just now. Fun to look through all of the years of memories.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is also my most favorite picture of Max. Mommy and I just loved how adorable he looked in that sailor suit. Remember how we made you keep the hat and we used to put it on him, even when it did not fit anymore?? He went along with it, but I could tell in his face that he thought we were being silly!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh this is such a great idea and your post brought tears to my eyes. I am going to have a hard time picking my favorite picture but I will have fun trying!

    ReplyDelete
  10. ...and, this was the picture you had on his "1st" Birthday invitation, which is still on my refrigerator...Max greets me everyday and makes me smile every time I open the frig and freezer doors (usually to get chocolate ice cream for myself!!!)...Paola

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just linked! And I have to say, I am enjoying all of these adorable pictures today. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. My profile pic is my favorite pic of my son to date. I snapped it with my cell phone during a ride home from a MD's appt just a few weeks after my son's open heart surgery. I remember thinking that Josh looked like such a little fighter. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. how incredibly adorable. Max is such a looker, then and now!
    Kristen

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks so much for running this! I've linked up. Max looks so great - just got one of those infectious smiles!
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love the picture and the explanation that goes with it! He is so stinkin' adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love those cheeks!!

    I posted a pic, too!!

    http://www.imjustthatway.com/2010/11/my-favorite-photo.html

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love that picture! What a cutie!

    ReplyDelete
  18. what a handsome fella. i see from your header he still has that fabulous smile!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh my goodness; how delicious is he?!?  A gorgeous photo and a beautiful post from a Mama I grow to love more all the time.  Thank you for sharing this, E.

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a great post! just got done linking! This was so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love that photo! Max looks so adorable in that outfit. I miss that chubby stage!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love that picture of Max. He IS absolutely "yummy-plump." :) And I understand a lot of the emotions you discussed in this post too.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thanks for hosting this carnival! Your pic of Max is adorable, and I looked through your blog :) You have a beautiful family!

    I posted a pic of mine that brings back a good memory of my kiddo!

    Chris
    www.acrazykindoffaith.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  24. I have been so thoroughly enjoying your blog. I laughed, and been encouraged and seen a little bit of my life here. The photo carnival was a great idea! Thank-you for sharing all these faces!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I just posted my photo of Sylvie. Like your photo a lot of the cuteness is in the hat...but in our photo Sylvie is wearing one of my hats! Sylvie has vision issues so pics of her looking straight on only come around in a blue moon--this was the first one!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing!



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...